Frequently Asked Questions

Building Department

Where do I get a building permit?
From the Building Department at the Walworth Town Hall, 3600 Lorraine Drive.

When do I need a building permit?
Call the Building Department office at 315.986.1400 Option 4 to see if a building permit is required before starting any project.

What must I take into consideration when determining location of any construction project?
The required setbacks and location of the septic system in some cases.

How do I find out what my property is zoned?
Call the Building Department at 315.986.1400 Option 4

What contractor should I use?
The town cannot make recommendations, so we suggest that you contact the Better Business Bureau and ask for referrals.

What types of inspections are required?
This depends on the type of permit. There are many different inspections. You will be advised upon permit request.

A permit is good for how long?
The permit is good for one year, and may be renewed.

I am selling my home and need past history permits. How do I obtain these?
Send a request for that information to the Building Department. We will research your home to see what permits have been issued. There is a $35.00 research fee for this process. If an inspection is required an additional $35.00 will apply.

Recreation Department

Can I register online for Walworth Rec Programs?
Yes, it is possible to register online for Walworth Recreation programs. Please be aware that a convenience fee is charged for all online registrations. Visit the Parks & Recreation page of this website for more information.

Can I request a certain team for my child to be on when registering for a sport?
Yes, we will try our best to meet all requests but cannot guarantee them.

Where are the Town Hall fields?
The Town Hall fields are located at the bottom of the hill to the east of the Walworth Town Hall. They are accessed via Lorraine Drive.

Where is Dolomite Park?
Dolomite Park is located on the west side of Lewis Road, between Route 286 (Atlantic Avenue) and Plank Road

How do you pronounce “Ginegaw”, as in Ginegaw Park?
Ginegaw is pronounced gin’ee’gaw (and both g’s are hard “g” sounds)

Do you have a lodge or pavilion?
We have a lodge and a pavilion in Ginegaw Park. We also have a pavilion in Sherburne Road Park.  All three are available for rental. The lodge is $175.00 resident fee and $225.00 non-resident fee. Pavilions are $35.00 resident fee and $60.00 non-resident fee. Please call the Recreation Dept. for availability.

Town Clerk’s Office

Dog License

At what age should I license my dog?
You must be 18 or older to have a dog licensed in your name. By state law, all dogs 4 months or older must be licensed.

How much does a license cost?
Spayed/Neutered: $10.00    Not spayed/neutered: $19.00

What do I need to license my dog?
Bring current Rabies Certificate and Spay/neuter certificate to Town Clerk’s Office.

Can I license my dog by mail?
Yes. Be sure to include the appropriate paperwork and a check made out to “Walworth Town Clerk.”

When should I renew the license?
Yearly – the form will be sent to you by the Town Clerk’s office. It is renewable at the Town Clerk’s Office or by mail.

My neighbor’s dog barks all the time. Is there someone I can call?
Yes.  Contact our Dog Control Officer, Lea Dill at (315) 576-5597

Marriage Licenses

What do we need to get a marriage license?
One age related identification (birth certificate with raised seal, baptismal record, naturalization record), one photo identification (driver’s license, passport, employee identification), and divorce papers (if applicable)

Do we both have to come to the Town Clerk’s Office?
Yes, both parties need to be present..

When should we get the license?
It must be purchased at least 24 hours prior to the ceremony and is valid for 60 days.

How much does it cost? $40.00

Birth Certificates

Where can I get a copy of my birth certificate?
If you were born at home: You must get it from the registrar of the Town in which you were born. If you were born in a hospital: You must get it from the registrar of the County in which you were born.

Does it need a raised seal? Yes

How much does a copy cost? Filed in Walworth – $10.00. Other – ?

Handicap Parking Permits

How do I get a handicapped parking permit for a family member?
Applications are available at the Town Clerk’s Office or your Doctor’s office. Completed applications should be submitted to the Town Clerk’s office of the town in which the applicant resides, where the permit will be issued. Driver’s license required (if applicable).

How long is it valid?
A Permanent Permit is valid up to 5 years. A Temporary Permit is valid for up to 6 months.

Conservation Licenses

At what age does my child need a fishing license?
Age 16. NYS Hunting & Trapping and NYS Freshwater Fishing books are available in the Town Clerk’s Office free of charge.


I think I have a rabid animal in my yard! What should I do?
Contact the Wayne County Public Health Department

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Do I have to go to Lyons to get vehicle registration forms?
No. There are a variety of motor vehicle forms at the Town Clerk’s Office

Can I renew my registration and driver’s license in Lyons?
Yes, or by mail to the below address, which is faster than sending it to Albany. The address is:

Dept. of Motor Vehicles
P O Box 608
Lyons, NY 14489

Envelopes are available at Town Clerk’s Office

Didn’t find the answer to your question? Let us know and we’ll post it here!